What is Cultural Competence?
King, M. A., Anthony S., & Osher, D.
Set of cohesive behaviors, policy, procedures that reflect cultural sensitivity, and understanding in a cross-cultural environment.
1. Value Diversity
• Accepting and respecting differences.
• Value differences within groups
• Vietnamese family
• “Different does not mean wrong”
2. (Capacity) - Cultural Self-Assessment
• The ability to recognize our personal cultural sensitivity level
3. Consciousness of the Dynamics of Cultural Interactions
• The ability to recognize the historical interactions of cultures on a societal level.
4. Institutionalization of Cultural Knowledge
• Gathering information and incorporating this knowledge into the operations of your environment.
• Positive representations of all cultures.
5. Adapt to Diversity
2. Focuses on changing activities to fit cultural norms in the given environment.
• Students can bring food dishes that reflect their cultural background and share recipes.
• Schedule time to reflect using a journal.
• Be aware of classroom demographics and become familiar with them through additional research.
• Artwork and décor can reflect student-body cultures.
• Modify curriculum, body language, and communication patterns to meet the specific needs of each classroom.